Monday 31 March 2014

Emperor Mk.II... Construction begins

Hmm... Blogging isn't that easy...  I need to actually implement the good advice my friend Fez suggested


Construction... 

I figure I start with the chassis... and then work around from there.

The last scratch build Titan I attempted was a hollow body with a plastic pipe skeleton... and not a particularly robust one at that.  Suffice to say, some of the joints didn't last that long (which is why i'm doing this again).

As a result... I am going to deliberately over-engineer this one.. I'd like it to be all but indestructible on the gaming table (and going to and from it)... I decided that the chassis needed to be part of the load bearing structure of the model... not just to rely on the skeleton to take the weight. Also... the skeleton pipework needs to be significantly more robust... 

Interference fitting

To make the chassis load-bearing for the castle section that goes above it... It needs a lot of solid joints.  I figure this is the best way to go about doing that.  I'm using the chassis design of the Epic Scale model (as best as I can work it out - I don't own one) as the basis for the model... obviously a lot of detail needs to be added





8 foam board pieces are cut - all the same size - which then are able to slide together to make a single interlocking design.  Once glued with supporting [90 degree] braces it makes a very solid, robust design

You can also see the large black [40mm] pipe that forms the skeleton structure.  This is solvent weld plumbing pipe and once glued together will be more that sufficient for the job.

**edit**  grammar corrected for the Fez-Man!

3 comments:

  1. Looking good buddy, but you'll need to make sure all your 'I's are 'I' and not 'i'. Its driving my OCD crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.. see that's my laziness and being used to auto-correct in Word.. I'll try to make sure they're better from now on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work mate. One thing to be wary of though - the Imperator you're using as reference isn't a regular model - its converted. No worries if you're aware as it does look cool, but its not the original one! Of course, there are many other beautiful epic Imperators out there for inspiration - I refer mainly to Christian Salling's work: http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/armies-of-the-imperium/task-force-yggdrasil/ (custom)
    http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/armies-of-the-imperium/legio-metalica/ (original)

    ReplyDelete